Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Makaha

Mākaha is a census-designated place in Honolulu County, Hawaiʻi with a population of almost 9000 people. The racial makeup of Makaha is about 22% Pacific Islanders, 18% White, 15% Asian, or about 55% of the total population. Most of the White are in relatively much higher income levels than the Pacific Islanders.

There also are Hispanic at about 13% and 27% from two or more races which total now reach 95% of the entire Makaha area. The remaining 5% were African American, Native American and other races,

"It may not be what you do that matters it may be what you don't do
that really matters at the end of the day."

The median income for a household was $36,000, Males had a median income of $34,000 versus $24,000 for females. About 23% of the population were below the poverty line. You can see where Honolulu couldn't care less about these people with ordinary wants, like living in a little more comfort.


In spite of all the strikes against them, the people have found the time for music and dance. So it is coming when we get that Business Park in Makaha, we are going to have a great fusion of dancing on the Waianae Coast. Who knows we may emerge as the next great surge in ballroom dancing around the entire Island chain. Since no dance has a patent on movement, the sky is the limit in being eclectic. We will take the easiest and the most natural and dance it.

"Maui Waltz" by Loyal Garner


The other stuff (hard, difficult, tricky, fancy) can be for Professional Teachers of the competitions and exhibitions. And there are plenty different to ponder such as Acrobatic, Cabaret and others, But we will like it because we are also spectators. We may establish that the true "dancer" is one that dances. No other qualification should be needed. But we will develop terminologies to distinguish the different types and accept each others fields.

And most of us social dancers will be so fortunate that we will have many more places to dance for the simple pleasure of moving to music.

Pub's Side Note: Check on Town Dancer blog, Calvin and Debra on the Telemark Ball, HBDA.